D a y 1
- We will pick up and and transfer you by car and ferry to Weda Bay Resort, where in the afternoon you will enjoy your first bird watching expedition in the forests that surround this beautiful seaside resort.
D a y 2
- Early in the morning, we will begin our bird-watching expedition into the forest starting with a search for Wallace’s Standardwing Bird of Paradise. The forest is alive with many beautiful species and we can expect a full morning of great bird spotting.
-Back at the resort, after lunch you can snorkel or kayak or relax before we venture back into the forest for more magnificent birding at dusk.
D a y 3
- At dawn, we will set off for more trekking around Weda rainforest looking for more birds of Halmahera, including another spot where we can watch the Wallace’s Standardwing Bird of Paradise once more.
- After lunch, we will board Katharina. As you settle into your new home will start the crossing to Gebe Island.
D a y 4
- The island of Gebe is home to a plethora of birds from both regions. We will go ashore early to a local village and meet our local guides who will show us many parrots, imperial pigeons, fruit doves, kingfishers and other local birds, and if we are lucky, we will see the Glossy-mantled Manucode.
- Overnight we will head towards Kofiau Island.
D a y 5
- Kofiau is home to two wonderful endemics, not least the Kofiau Paradise Kingfisher, which we hope to see on a long early morning visit to the forest along with many other birds.
- In the afternoon we can snorkel and explore the island before continue our birding experience in the early evening.
-During the night, we will set sail to Misool.
D a y 6
- Long before dawn we start our trek near the village of Kapatcol, partly by dingy and partly on foot, towards one of the leks of the Lesser Bird of Paradise. On our return, we will see other special birds of the region, and hopefully also the King Bird of Paradise.
- In the afternoon, we have the chance to go snorkelling on a local reef before heading back into the forest.
-During night, we continue our journey towards Salawati Island.
D a y 7
- Today with the help of local guides we hope to see the beautiful, yet elusive, King Bird-of-Paradise, which can be seen high in the canopy. We will also have the possibility to see the Western-crowned Pigeon.
- Later that day, if sea conditions allow, we will go ashore on the north-east corner of Salawati and look for the Northern Cassowary, which is known to roam freely in the forest here.
D a y 8
- Today will bring us an encounter with one of the most beautiful birds in the world, the Wilson’s Bird of Paradise. Rising once again before the dawn we will walk through the forest to a hide, where we can hopefully see the male’s elaborate forest floor mating display, and maybe even see a female or two come and join in.
- On the way back to the boat we will be on the look out for more birds in the busy forest canopy and floor.
-In the afternoon, we sail on towards Mioskon Island. When we arrive around dusk, we can see thousands of flying foxes head out from their forest home on their nightly forage.
D a y 9
- We will go ashore in tenders to meet with our local guides who will lead us through the forest to the lekking trees of the Red Bird of Paradise, where we will be witness to their outlandish courtship display.
- On the way back through the forest we will be on the lookout for many other bird species native to the area.
- After a late full breakfast on the boat we will move to another nearby island where we can snorkel and relax. Come late afternoon we will enter the forest once again in search of more endemic bird species.
-During the night we travel the final leg of our trip to Sorong city.
D a y 1 0
- After breakfast, we will go ashore on Doom island and tour this small town by three-wheeled motorised transport known locally as ‘becaks’. The town used to be a Dutch Colonial outpost and was also home to a Japanese base during WWII.
- We will have a final lunch on the boat before saying goodbye to the crew and being transferred to your hotel or the airport for the next part of your journey.