D a y 1
- Starting your adventure today we will have a tour of Ternate’s historical highlights before boarding our SeaTrek ship and meeting the crew and settling into your new home for the next few weeks.
- Later that afternoon, we will visit the island of Tidore, another perfect volcanic cone rising from the tropical seas. Over lunch on board, we will have a magnificent view of the extinct Kiematabu volcano that dominates the island. Its slopes feature plantations of graceful clove trees, once found only upon this and a few adjacent islands, and so valuable in world trade that European nations fought for centuries to monopolise them.
D a y 2
- Today we will be searching for some very special species of butterfly, some unique birds and some quirky mammals.
- We will explore the deep forest of Bacan island, where Wallace first saw what he called “the most beautiful butterfly in the world”, the Golden Birdwing. During our trek, the other species that we might see here include cuscus, the black-crested macaque and some hornbills.
- After lunch, we will spend the afternoon snorkeling and swimming on the nearby reef.
D a y 3
- Culture and spice will fill our day as we find ourselves off the coast of the white sand island of Obi Latu, a place filled with clove and nutmeg plantations.
- Obi latu’s steep hillsides are covered in clove and nutmeg forests, reaching back to the rich and heady days of the spice trade, which saw many a European power vying for control of the East Indies. While the spice trade might not be what it once was, the growers can still make a good living on this remote island in the Banda Sea.
- We will go ashore and walk through the villages and plantations and see the fruits and spices growing on the trees and drying in the sun ready for market, in the same way it has for centuries.
D a y 4
- Today will be a day for snorkeling, culture, and history as we find ourselves in the middle of the Banda Sea in the remote and breathtaking Sula archipelago.
- In the morning, we will feast on some history and culture as we visit the local village market and visit the ruins of a 17th-century Dutch Fort, which once protected the spice trade along these routes.
- Later that day, we will spend the afternoon exploring the reefs that are teeming with fish and other marine life.
D a y 5
- The cultural experiences ratchet up a notch today with a war dance performed in our honour.
- We will go ashore on Taliabu island, where we will be treated to a traditional dance known as the ‘cakalele’, by local warriors. We will also have a chance to explore the local village and meet the people of this remote isle.
- The afternoon will see us snorkeling on a reef teeming with colorful fish and possibly some kayaking and paddleboarding.
D a y 6
- The Bokan islands are an area of unsurpassed beauty and today will be a day of marine exploration and relaxation as we snorkel, swim, paddle around the glorious reef, beach and island with giant clams scattered around the area.
- We also have the rare privilege to swim in a small marine lake filled with stingless jellyfish, the exotically named Danau Piasu Botangan, one of only 20 lakes of its kind in the world.
D a y 7
- A trio of unique experiences await us today involving culture, conservation and wildlife.
- We will visit the bustling Indonesian island port town of Banggai, a place filled with activity and commerce. Here on Banggai island we will visit the local market, explore the neighbourhoods, the sultan’s palace and the maleo bird egg museum, and all from our fleet of brightly-coloured motor rickshaws, which will be on the dock awaiting on our arrival.
- We will pay a hands on visit to LINI, an NGO doing great work with coral restoration on the surrounding reefs, in addition to working with local fishermen in finding sustainable solutions for overseas markets and the live aquarium fishing trade.
- The last of the day’s highlights will be a snorkel on a local reef where we will see the most elegant, but very threatened, Banggai Cardinal Fish – a darling of saltwater aquarium lovers worldwide.
D a y 8
- The Bajau sea gypsies of Southeast Asia have a very unique way of life living in harmony with the water, and today you will get to see it up close.
- We will snorkel on one of the local reefs around a Bajau “sea gypsy” community whose famous for Southeast Asia’s nomadic cultures.
- A long overnight cruise awaits as we cross from the land of the sea nomads towards the Wakatobi National Park area.
D a y 9
- This morning we will officially arrive in the Wakatobi National Park area, a very hard to reach archipelago filled with fascinating culture and also one of Indonesia’s best national parks, with outstanding underwater life natural beauty.
- You will enjoy a personalised tour of the island of Wangi-Wangi, with highlights that include a seaweed farm, meeting with a traditional weaving community, and the ruins of a centuries’ old Dutch fort, a relic of the ancient Spice Trade.
- In the afternoon, we will be spending some time in the water where the water is clear and abundance with rich colorful corals. We can also take a little stroll around a number of sea nomad villages.
D a y 1 0
- Today is a day for all of us water babies.
- Snorkelling comes first thing in the morning at Tomia where we will snorkel in front of a magnificent house reef.
- In the afternoon, we will explore a nearby uninhabited atoll where guests have the chance to beach-comb, snorkel, paddleboard, or kayak.
D a y 1 1
- In the morning, we will wake up to an uninhabited sea mount in the middle of the Flores Sea, rich in upwelling nutrients and a perfect habitat for fish and raising their young. We will spend some time here for snorkelling and some exploring before sailing onwards for overnight cruising towards the southern tip of Sulawesi.
D a y 1 2
- Another full day of underwater adventure and exploration awaits us today. The whole day, we will spend exploring one of the most beautiful collections of reefs and atolls with palm fringed white-sand beaches and crystal clear waters.
- The choice is yours entirely whether you would like to kick back and relax on board while watching the endless horizon dazzles with luminous blue waters, lounging on the sand, exploring the shallow reefs on kayaks or paddleboards, or lose yourself in the frenzy of the rich reefs.
D a y 1 3
- Today we will walk amongst the hulls and hulks of a huge unlaunched flotilla of pinisi ships being built on a remote island archipelago. We will meet the shipwrights and discover their age-old traditions of shipbuilding that they have practiced for centuries in this forgotten corner of the world, using basic plans, wood, and a collection of simple tools and age-old techniques.
- Bonerate is rarely visited by tourists outside of SeaTrek, and seeing this open-air boatyard is an experience to be savoured. As we walk through the village and along the beaches and meet the locals, you will gain a new appreciation for island life and for the kind of boat you have been cruising with for the past thirteen days.
D a y 1 4
- Giants will loom large in your day today: Komodo dragons, flying foxes and manta rays, three of the biggest and most impressive animals in Indonesia.
- Our morning will be spent drifting with Manta Rays, the gentle giant as they glide by feed in the current at their go-to local cleaning stations.
- In the afternoon, we will take you for a privately arranged, ranger-led walk around the island of Rinca, where we will see not only Komodo dragons, but also their preferred menu of prey – monkeys, deer, pigs, and buffaloes.
- This evening, as the sun starts to set, we will gather on the deck and be witness to a most spectacular event as thousands of flying foxes leave their mangrove forest homes en masse on their nightly fruit-foraging missions.
D a y 1 5
- Rising early, you will have the chance to hike a scenic route of Gili Lawa Darat, or you can stretch your legs on the beautiful white-sandy beach. After the hike, we will be back on board for a mission: to count how many turtles can we spot with our own eyes in Siaba Besar island where it’s famous as turtle heaven.
- In the late afternoon, we will have relaxing beach time where you’re more than free to do pretty much anything you’d like ranging from snorkelling, paddleboarding, kayaking, or just beach combing.
- Tonight, the crew will prepare a beach BBQ for us as we all feast, sing and dance the night away by a roaring fire under the stars.
D a y 1 6
- Our final day, we will wake as the boat is cruising slowly making its way to the magnificent town of Labuan Bajo. After a final Indonesian breakfast on the boat, we will say farewell to our crew, who have looked after us so well for the past seventeen days, and transfer to Komodo airport for our flight and our onward journey.